History

 Before AVEK, there was the Antelope Valley-Feather River Association. It was formed in 1953 to encourage importation of water from the Feather River in northern California.

  • AVEK was granted its charter as a regional water agency by the State Legislature in 1959.
  • In 1962, the AVEK Board of Directors signed a water supply contract with the state to assure delivery of imported water to supplement Antelope Valley groundwater supplies.
  • AVEK covers a land area of nearly 2,400 square miles. In addition to northern Los Angeles and eastern Kern Counties, the Agency's boundaries include a small portion of Ventura County.
  • AVEK has the third largest water entitlement of 29 SWP water agencies in California. Only the Metropolitan Water District and the Kern County Water Agency are larger.
  • When State Water Project facilities are finally completely built, the contract between the Department of Water Resources and AVEK will allow the water agency to take its annual maximum entitlement of 144,844 acre feet of imported water.

 

Importing Water Through State Water Project Facilities

 

  • Initial funds for construction of SWP facilities were obtained through a $1.75 billion bond issue that was ratified by California voters in 1960.

 

  • Twenty-two State Water Project (SWP) dams and reservoirs are used to capture and store run-off from northern California mountains and valleys.

 

  • The SWP begins on the Feather River, where runoff is stored behind Oroville Dam in Butte County. The water then flows down natural channels to the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta south of Stockton.

 

  • Oroville Dam is the largest of the SWP's storage reservoirs. It has a storage capacity of 3.5 million acre-feet of water.

 

Back to Top

For technical questions and comments regarding this website,
please contact the Webmaster.